Incorporated nearly four decades ago (1981) Cathedral City offers residents and visitors alike a sense of community and quality of life unparalleled in the Coachella Valley. Cathedral City retains a strong service orientation with its own police and fire departments, along with public schools ranked among the best in the region. Its neighborhoods, some established long before the City’s incorporation, retain a strong sense of character and identity.
Strategically located, with borders on both side of Interstate 10, Cathedral City is a haven for expanding and relocating businesses. Cathedral City ranks in the top three cities in the Coachella Valley in population, retail sales and total taxable sales.
Businesses view the region as a triangle of opportunity between Los Angeles and San Diego with Coachella Valley inland equidistant from each. This triangle of commercial businesses, light industry, and professional services is expanding and becoming one metropolis of continued growth.
- The city was named after a canyon that reminded an early explorer of a European cathedral.
- Cathedral City has the second highest full-time population in the Coachella Valley.
- Named one of the “top ten best bargain retirement spots” by US News and World Report.
- Perez Road Design District offers housewares and furniture shops with mid-century modern and vintage merchandise you won’t find at big-box stores.
- Cathedral City has an expanding art-in-public-places program, with sculptures adorning a variety of locations.
- Cathedral City named one of the ‘most livable’ cities by the Conference of Mayors and Waste Management, Inc.
- Rio Vista Elementary was named both a Title I Academic Achievement School and a California "Exemplary" Distinguished School, the bonus "exemplary" being awarded to only 30 schools in the state.
- The city was the teenage home of actress Suzanne Somers, and a winter residence for actors Robert Duvall and Martin Landau in the 1960s, and TV show host Monty Hall in the 1990s.
- Timothy Bradley, the former WBO welterweight champion, and Cub Swanson, current UFC featherweight champion, are from Cathedral City and graduated from Cathedral City High School.
- Frank Sinatra's grave is located in Desert Memorial Park cemetery, as are those of several other prominent figures, including actress Jane Wyman, actor William Powell, and singer-songwriter Sonny Bono, former mayor of Palm Springs.
- Chicano folk musician Lalo Guerrero lived in Cathedral City in his final years.
Sources: Wikipedia.org, US News &World Report, Palm Springs Cemetery District
The Perez Road Business District is a thriving hub of more than 200 businesses and home to the City’s distinctive home improvement, design, and décor shops. Similar treasures unearthed there can only be found by driving to LA’s design showrooms. Some of the best high-end consignment stores in the Valley are located along East Palm Canyon Drive, as are national retailers like Target and Trader Joe’s.
Downtown Cathedral City bustles with activity as diners make their way in and out of some of the Valley’s most distinctive restaurants, including some of the best Mexican food in the region. Incredible dining is not just limited to downtown: popular chain and local specialty restaurants are located throughout the city. Wherever you are in Cathedral City, you aren’t far away from a memorable dining experience.
Whether for work or pleasure, staying in Cathedral City is ideal, and our hotels offer some of the most exquisite golf course and Mt. San Jacinto views in the Valley. The newly remodeled DoubleTree by Hilton is the perfect location for weddings and events; StayBridge Suites offers a home-like setting tucked behind a residential neighborhood. Stay for as long as you’d like: there is always something to do in Cathedral City, and you’ll be close to everything.
The Cathedral City Auto Center – located along East Palm Canyon Drive (Highway 111) – boasts thirteen dealers and twenty brands, meeting the needs of buyers in search of everything from economy to luxury. Coachella Valley car buyers have discovered that there is no need to venture outside of the Valley to find the best prices, service, and selection of new and used automobiles: the Cathedral City Auto Center has it all! Car lovers and do-it-yourselfers will find their place, too: the Ramon Road Corridor is a hotbed of automotive customization, repair, and supply shops.
Best of the Best
Top 10 Employers
Top 5 Major Industry Groups
WEST VALLEY DATA
Home Ownership Rate
Average Household Size
Number of Households
Average Household Income
KEY: DHS=Desert Hot Springs, PS=Palm Springs, CC=Cathedral City, RM=Rancho Mirage
FESTIVALS & EVENTS
There is ALWAYS something going on in Cathedral City